The first floor of the White House under the Administration of Thomas Jefferson in 1803. Notice how Jefferson turned the entrance hall into a Wilderness Museum with animal heads and Native American artifacts. The area surrounded the White House was primarily used as a brick yard and was enclosed by a rough rail fence. Thomas Jefferson housed his personal secretaries, first Meriweather Lewis then Isaac Coles, in the canvas-enclosed south end of the unfinished east room. Jefferson would often answer the door of the White House himself wearing slippers. At White House dinners, there was no pre-arranged seating and individuals were appointed from each of the round tables to serve others at the table from dumb waiters. Under the direction of Benjamin Latrobe, pavillons were built on the east and west sides of the White House to house servants.